Early.

DSC_2791

DSC_2798

DSC_2793

I started today early, just my puppy and me. A one-hour walk as the sun came up.

And I feel fantastic.

Just a walk. Alone. Without my kids to negotiate just-a-few-more-blocks with, without Pete to hold hands and talk with, without the trick-kite-flying gig that is walking two dogs at once. Withouth distraction.

Just me. And Olive. And the songbirds.

My days have been getting away from me lately. Somehow I look up every afternoon and it's four PM and I still haven't hung the laundry, if washed it even. And the sink is full of dishes and there are books everywhere and… well, you get the idea.

I needed – and wanted – to restart my daily rhythm. To find my groove again. Early seemed like the place to start.

Also, I've been feeling lately a serious lack of time for me. At night I'm too tired to make it quality. So I found it in the morning.

I set my alarm for 4:45. (Okay, typing that I now see that that looks insane. But it didn't feel insane. As you know, I don't have a baby waking me to nurse at night anymore, so please if you have a little one don't even think about it. Get all the sleep you can. I've been falling asleep with my kids before 9 for the past week, and every Saturday I get up at 3:45 for the farmer's market. If I haven't set an earlier sleep-wake cycle that is completely insane.)

Olive and I walked through the small town quiet that is the early morning. Through the dew the birdsong and the chill damp air, the rest of our town asleep. We went to a woods where I let Olive run off leash. Bliss. For us both.

She is asleep again at my feet as I type. But me, I'm energized.

What a change it made just to get my heart pumping and my body moving and my head cleared first thing. I feel fantastic. (Is this why other people exercise?)

I could make a habit of this.

And now I hear the patter of feet beginning to move around the house. Looks like day has begun for at least one of my loves.

And so the day begins.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend. I'll have a guest post up over on Whip Up tomorrow (Saturday), discussing my creative process. Take a look if you are interested.

Love,
Rachel

15 thoughts on “Early.

1. Thundercloud Ma says:

Yes! Just this week I started a new routine of going for an early morning solo walk. It is such a great way to start a day off with some fresh air and clarity rather than jumping right into the flurry and activity of the day first thing. Also, I didn’t get to comment earlier, but thank you for deciding to continue on with the parenting posts. They help.

2. meghann says:

Oh, that sounds lovely!

I’ve given up on my rhythm, for the moment. It all went south when we were traveling in April and now we’re moving and there’s just no way I can see to recapture it amid all the chaos. My children are watching too much PBS lately, too, to give me a little more time to pack.

Once we’re in our new house, we’ll start again. In the meantime I will live vicariously through your beautiful morning… xo

3. Marlo says:

Ooh, that sounds lovely. I really, really want to be a morning person, but it is SO hard for me. I am naturally a night owl, so trying to change has been hard. I am committed to changing though, so this is motivating for me. Thanks Rachel.

4. Luisa says:

Those early starts are peaceful and wonderful. I’m thinking some morning peace is what I need this weekend. Havea lovely weekend 🙂

5. Nahuatl Vargas says:

So good you found time for yourself, I hardly ever get any. I love when I make it to wake up early, but usually I got o bed to late to do that, I’ll just have to wait, better times will come.
    Send you a hug.

6. Elizabeth says:

Rachel, the start to your day sounds delightful.

I have a young son who still co-sleeps with us so I look forward to the slow slipping out of the bed days to come in the next couple of years.

For now, my me time is savored in tiny spurts.

7. Sharilyn says:

I have just started doing this again myself! And for the first time in 4 years I ran! And it wasn’t after a kid- it was for fun- I even did a few leaps- so fun & I feel great! But I will still take that second latte thank you very much:)

8. Tricia says:

I enjoy rising early in the morning now too. It seems it’s the only time to find space for just me.

I’ve just discovered your blog via your whip up guest post. I’m so glad I did. This is a beautiful space. I spent over an hour thismorning reading some of your past posts and know i’ll be a regular follower.

And you introduced me to home made tonic!! You are my favourite person at the moment. I’m not much of a drinker – but I do like the odd Gin and Tonic in summer – but can’t bring byself to buy bottled Tonic. Thank you!!

9. Annie says:

This sounds like a dream 🙂 You know how we all have ideas of how parenting will be? I always envisioned myself waking much earlier than the kids and spending 30-60 min on ME. In 5 1/2 years of parenting, I think it happened twice, by accident. But I do have a little one nursing through the night — and I also know that if I get out of bed at 5 am to go for a walk on my very own, my husband will have to get up at 5:05 with her. So I soak up the sleep for now. Soon… soon! thank you for sharing your lovely morning.

10. Rachel Wolf says:

Yes. After nearly a decade of parenting (and we’re still co-sleeping) I can now get up alone without waking the small one. It will come. But for now, just enjoy the sleep and the snuggles. So much sweetness.